There are some basic steps to follow for doing anything worthwhile and you also need to follow certain basic steps for sewing. These steps would make your work so much easier because when there is clarity of the steps that we need to take, our mind accepts the challenge and does not tire too soon. Therefore, we need to start with getting our mind prepared and then we follow the steps to sewing.
Here, i am outlining a few steps which would help you in your journey to make any dress. you can make your own dress or make any dress for anyone you wish to, by keeping in mind these easy steps because if you understand the process once, you can devise your own methods to get any dress made
A FEW DAYS BACK, I RECEIVED A MESSAGE ON MY PHONE, WHICH READ SOMETHING LIKE THIS -
If you learn only “METHODS” you may get stuck up at some POINT. But if you learn “PRINCIPLES” then you can derive your OWN METHODS”.
In fact, these lines hold true in any field you want to excel in. Blindly following the methods may not help you much but understanding the basics would help you always to get the outcome in any field you want.
How to Start your Sewing Machine?
How To Learn Sewing as Hobby
There are certain tips and tricks, which can make your work look like that of a professional. While sewing. It really helps to know what are the trade secrets to get the best out of your efforts and make your dress stand out. Your dress should not look like a home made amateurish venture but the work of a skilled designer. Even though, you may not be knowing the calculations and formulas but get the dress right every time you make it. Just keep these points in mind and keep stitching:)
Steps to Cut & Sew Perfectly
DECIDE THE DESIGN. KNOW WHAT YOU WANT TO MAKE
- Going through some pictures in fashion magazines or may be online,
- Your favorite ready to wear dress you bought for special occasions and you desperately wish a similar dress, or
- May be your own creative sketches, your imagination on paper and your fusion styles.
KNOW YOUR MEASUREMENTS
- Use the hard chip side of measuring tape for lengthwise & 1/2″ wide metal side of measuring tape for width wise (wrapping) measurements.
- Follow Top to Bottom measuring step wise. That means start taking measurements lengthwise starting from top and coming down to crosswise bottom.
- Preferably measure standing in front of a mirror
- Take help from somebody (optional)
- If in doubt, double check by measuring again.
- If still in doubt, measure your well fitted dress.
Suppose – You are making a Top. Then start with Full Length of the top. Likewise, if you are making a skirt then start measuring from waist till required length.
Taking measurements from readymade dress
USE PATTERNS OR DO YOUR OWN DRAFTING & MARKING ON FABRIC
- You may use ready made patterns if available. Follow the instructions given on the pattern.
- Or, make your drafting on paper or you may mark directly on fabric.
- For simple dresses, it’s okay to mark directly on fabric but for complex and elaborate designs it’s always advisable to make a paper pattern yourself.
- Making a pattern or drafting is simple just you have to keep some standard steps in check.
CUT THE FABRIC
- Mark on the fabric.
- Make notches.
- Use tracing wheel to get marks on the bottom layer of the fabric.
- Leave 1/2″ to 2″ margins on the sides.
- 1″ to 2.5″ for fold at the bottom depending on machine stitch or hem. Machine stitch required less fold and for hemming you may need 2 to 2.5″ for fold.
STITCHING AND TRIMMINGS
- Get your sewing machine well oiled, in good working condition.
- Keep your scissors, chalk, pins, thread pools and other required items near your right hand side so you are not distracted for lack of things.
- Hang the measuring tape on your neck to make it handy and keep measuring your dress at every stage, if in doubt. It’ll save you precious time later in alterations.
- Use all pins or basting stitch to keep parts together, at least in the beginning phase of your stitching ventures.
- Beautify with buttons,laces,studs,ribbons etc.(Using zippers, laces etc.is intertwined with stitching process most of the times).
Give your dress final pampering by over locking, ironing/pressing, dry cleaning (if required) etc.
Dress making is easy. Just like anything else we have to keep a few steps in mind and follow through. We can bend the rules as we wish but the blueprint of principles do not change.
So, get going! Nothing is beyond reach if we put our heart and effort to it.
Do you want free sewing tips and tutorials?