When we start sewing, we start looking for the best sewing books to buy. Because no matter how many video tutorials on sewing are available; a book is a must to learn a craft from the beginning.
WHILE BUYING TECHNICAL BOOKS FOR CUTTING & TAILORING, EITHER WE GO BY THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF OUR INSTRUCTOR OR BY THE EXPERTS WHO HAVE ALREADY USED THOSE BOOKS.
SOMETIMES OUR FRIENDS ALSO PITCH IN TO HELP US IN THE PROCESS.
Books to learn good cutting & sewing.
The books by Gayatri Verma, Zarapkar and Marfy are the ones I have used extensively. Rest of the design books you find in abundance in your neighborhood stationery shop also. The various design books are published by different publishing houses and the designs are very region specific.
I believe that cutting & tailoring or for that matter Fashion Designing is very individualistic. It’s just like cooking. If you know the basic ingredients right , you may cook anything. Likewise, if you know your basics right, you can stitch just anything.
You would get a lot of information which you can use for self-tutoring in my post Free Books on Cutting & Tailoring:
TO START WITH STITCHING BUT STILL IF YOU NEED TO BUY A SELF LEARNING BOOK THEN I WOULD RECOMMEND THE FOLLOWING BOOKS:-
Cutting tailoring in Hindi
- Cutting & Tailoring Course by Gayatri Verma (Hindi Edition) – This book is very practical. Can be used for home tailoring purpose. Reading theory part is important to grasp the lay out and pattern cutting.
- This would be a good book in Hindi for learning the tailoring yourself. There is also a book Rapidex Home Tailoring Course by Asha Rani Vohra which is practically useful by which anybody can master the art of Cutting & Tailoring.
Best Cutting system
- Zarapkar System of Cutting– One of the best books on Cutting and understanding the details of cutting various types of garments. Some of the layouts you may find out here in this link.
- Though, initially it takes a little bit more time to understand this book and its technical language but once you are absorbed into Cutting & Tailoring mode, this book is very useful in the long run. It can be referred time and again.
- Design Books – When we start with our fabric, sometimes we need a guidance on the kind of design our fabric would be most suitable for.
- For this purpose, it helps to refer to various design books to widen our color and design combinations and varied choices of layout of the available fabric.
- There are many design books available in the market and many more are being launched every day.
- Publishers keep updating them as per the market trends and fashion fads at any given point of time. Therefore, the designs in these books may change from time to time.
Learn Online Free Cutting & Sewing
- Region specific Cutting,Tailoring & Design books – These are regional fashion books. The language and cutting formulas would be very basic.
- Western Wear & Designs – This is also one of my favorite book on western designs, which you may find useful too. It gets published every year and with every Marfy magazine you get free patterns also. The designs shown are evergreen and can be adapted in various styles.
I hope these books are useful in your journey to learn Cutting & Tailoring as they have helped me in being a self learnt dress maker.
Do you want to get free tips & tutorials?