How to Learn Sewing as Beginner at Home to make your own dresses, sew some cute fancy dresses for your kids or sell your stitched garments.
When I was about ten year old, I made my school uniform skirt using my mom's manual sewing machine. During 90's internet had not entered our lives, so the only way to learn sewing was to -
- Join a sewing school,
- Work as an apprentice with some tailoring house,
- Take private classes for dress making, or
- Learn from sewing books.
I could not avail the first three options because I was full time into studies and it was out of question that I left my academics to learn sewing.
Therefore, I took the tougher route of learning from books. After many years, I learned from fashion institute and run my boutique also.
So, everything I share with you in this post comes with my experience and learnings of 31+ years.
To learn sewing, understand six major steps:-
1. Get a Sewing Machine
If you don't want to spend a lot of time hand sewing then you must have a basic sewing machine. You may buy, borrow or rent the machine as per your convenience and budget.
You may choose -
- Manual Sewing Machine / Half Shuttle Machine / Treadle Machine
- Electric or Industrial Sewing Machine / Umbrella Machine
- Electronic or Automatic Zig Zag White Plastic Sewing Machine
2. Get Sewing Tool Kit
You need a basic sewing tool kit to get started. A beginner sewing kit must have :-
- Measuring Tape
- Tailors Chalk
- Tailors Scale straight 24"
- Leg Curve
- All Purpose Pins
- Threads - White, Black, Grey and Cream/Beige colors
- Hand Needle for Hemming
- Tailors Scissors 10"
- Paper Cutting or All Purpose Scissors
- Tracing Wheel
- Thread Cutter
- Brown paper for Pattern Making / Drafting, and
- Marker for Drafting.
You may get all these basic supplies from your local sewing shop. If you are unable to track a sewing material shop near you or you want to save your time, you can get sewing essentials online.
3. Learn to Use Your Sewing Machine
About 77% people are not able to sew anything because they are too overwhelmed with their sewing machines.
A sewing machine is a useful tool to make things and there is no reason why you should be scared of it.
Open the cover of your sewing machine and learn these basic things about it:-
- Sewing Machine Parts
- Bobbin Winding
- Threading the Sewing Machine Needle
- Stitch Length and Width Settings
- Thread Tension Dial Settings
- Your Sewing Machine Accessories (if any), and most importantly
- How to Clean Lint and Dust from Shuttle Race and Bobbin and
- Basic Cleaning and Maintenance.
4. Choose Your First Project
You may choose to make your dress, doll clothes, soft toys, pillow covers or giveaways. It all depends on your liking, interest and skill level.
Ideally, you should start with simple beginner level projects and later you should try designer dresses or more complex sewing projects.
Some of the Free Sewing Tutorials (in English), that you may find useful are:-
1. Sewing Projects for Beginners DIY https://bit.ly/33vSSjR
2. Latest Fashion Trends https://bit.ly/35Qff57
3. Sewing Tips https://bit.ly/35HD52L
4. Neck Designs DIY https://bit.ly/2OwbkV6
5. Winter Dresses DIY https://bit.ly/35O0tf9
6. Long Dress / Gown DIY https://bit.ly/2DvA2hS
7. Yoke Design DIY https://bit.ly/2OTifqq
8. How to Make Pockets https://bit.ly/2L6mg9N
9. Flared Kurti Dress https://bit.ly/37PDXEs
10. Animal Print Party Frock https://bit.ly/2L4JCNg
11. Yoke Design Dresses https://bit.ly/35L2BEa
12. Collar / Neckline Designs https://bit.ly/2R86oHw
13. Reglan Sleeve,Cord Neck Top https://bit.ly/35MP5zQ
14. Simple Kurti Cutting Stitching https://bit.ly/2DqDdHZ
15. Sleeve Designs https://bit.ly/34uV9gd
16. Designer Dresses https://bit.ly/2P7Niz1
17. Pleated Skirt Jacket https://bit.ly/2R4S2b1
18. Pajama / Palazzo https://bit.ly/37KuLB8
19. Boy Half Sleeve Shirt with Collar https://bit.ly/2DtokEI
20. V-Neck Mandarin Collar Pleated Dress https://bit.ly/35OAtjt
21. Boy Shorts https://bit.ly/2Y3hnnd
22. Best Out of Waste https://bit.ly/3c0T8yV
23. Sewing for Home Decor https://bit.ly/3qHz3lA
24. Best Home Use Sewing Machine https://bit.ly/2Y1r9XE
25. Sewing Machine Repair at Home https://bit.ly/398Ciw8
26. Comfy Clothes Sewing https://bit.ly/3665GBA
27. Summer Clothes Sewing https://bit.ly/3pbJywU
28. Face Mask Sewing https://bit.ly/3qISsCs
29. Usha Janome Stitch Magic Demo https://bit.ly/2NsIiYs
30. Reuse Old Clothes https://bit.ly/3qULKJZ
31. Pencil Case Sewing https://bit.ly/2Mgo3MN
32. Anchor Thread Designs https://bit.ly/3iBBeEg
33. Boat Neck Designs https://bit.ly/3sMYsvW
34. Jeans Sewing https://bit.ly/396C4pF
To watch Sewing Video Tutorials in Hindi / Urdu, check:-
उपयोगी वीडियो ट्यूटोरियल: - Cutting and Stitching
1. Body Measurement Formula https://bit.ly/3iJlVte
2. Sewing Pattern Tips https://bit.ly/36cDrRM
3. Suit, Kurti, Kameez https://bit.ly/3c7hsPL
4. Gown Dress https://bit.ly/2Nt3ZHH
5. Ladies Frock Design https://bit.ly/3iJO9Ed
6. Angarkha Design https://bit.ly/3iJyF3h
7. Blouse Designs https://bit.ly/2YcuZ0s
8. Jacket Design https://bit.ly/2YdcF7s
9. Princess Cut Designs https://bit.ly/2Y8REuj
10. Ladies Shirts https://bit.ly/3ph27jx
11. Palazzo Designs https://bit.ly/3sSFl3s
12. Pants and Pajamas https://bit.ly/3qSNIdN
13. Ladies Jeans https://bit.ly/39ex8z2
14. Boat Neckline Designs https://bit.ly/36bAbWF
15. Piping Neck Design https://bit.ly/39c7x9U
16. Dori Neck Design Top https://bit.ly/3oaNugl
17. Boat Neck Blouse with Lining https://bit.ly/3qJfBog
18. Winter Dress https://bit.ly/3ofS2Sk
19. Neck Design for Summer https://bit.ly/3iH0V6x
20. Stylish Kurti https://bit.ly/3afOURR
21. Gents Shirt https://bit.ly/2Mg5A37
22. Gents Shorts https://bit.ly/3pfOjpb
23. Pink Jacket with Lining https://bit.ly/3cg6lE6
24. Woolen Suit https://bit.ly/3qO0t9d
25. Lab Coat https://bit.ly/3qJfjOc
26. Sari Dress https://bit.ly/2YefNj6
27. Kalidar Kurti Design https://bit.ly/3qGwArw
28. Anchor Thread Design https://bit.ly/3psEl4h
29. Patch Work Design https://bit.ly/2M1kJ8H
30. Pockets Designs https://bit.ly/39j8gWZ
31. Collar and Neck Designs https://bit.ly/3c7tI2F
32. Sleeves / Baaju https://bit.ly/2KLgayP
33. Roz ke Kapde | Everyday Clothes https://bit.ly/3sTode5
34. Net Fabric Designs https://bit.ly/3qNIH63
35. Dress Alterations, Fittings https://bit.ly/3pm9LJy
36. Silai Cutting Tips https://bit.ly/3pgsrdz
37. Face Mask https://bit.ly/39fDRsp
38. Old Clothes Reuse https://bit.ly/3psAdRP
39. Home Decor https://bit.ly/3qMHV9t
40. Bag Design https://bit.ly/3iGxT77
Stitching Machine Tutorials
1. Usha Janome Embroidery Designs https://bit.ly/2KQg0pW
2.Usha Janome Stitch Magic Tutorial https://bit.ly/3a1Kj5j
3. Umbrella Silai Machine https://bit.ly/2YaUtuZ
4. Janome Demo https://bit.ly/3iKjczD
5. Best Silai Machine Buyers Guide https://bit.ly/39c1fqO
6. Home Use Best Silai Machine https://bit.ly/3ps7Bru
7. Silai Machine Repair https://bit.ly/2MphYh6
1. Honest Review https://bit.ly/3qO15Mi
2. Motivational Videos https://bit.ly/3iGbYgi
3. Useful Information Cloth Market https://bit.ly/3qM12R0
4. Popular Videos https://bit.ly/2Y8QAXl
5. Fashion Trends https://bit.ly/3c9PeUC
6. Shorts Videos https://bit.ly/39gOWtn
5. Buy Some Fabric
It helps to practice cutting and drafting on papers to get confidence to handle the fabric.
Once you are familiar with scissors handling, marking, drafting, it may be a good idea to buy some fabric and start making real clothes.
You may wonder how much fabric you may need for your sewing projects. This fabric requirement calculation, you would find useful.
6. Get Sewing
Congratulations! Now you have reached the level six of your game. At this level you can explore designing, embroidery and dress making at an advanced level.
If required, you may also try your hands at sewing and selling business ideas.
After all, sewing is a productive hobby and a profitable business.